Both the fan control solenoid and mounting clamps had already been scavenged from the 1038.
Finding a replacement solenoid (Fig. 177, Item 5) 4810-01-192-5817  was relatively simple, and just about every supplier stocks it.
It would be nice to find a cost-effective substitute, but as of yet, we have not located one that would be both cost-effective and a simple retrofit.
The clamps holding the solenoid to the body were also missing. The parts manual (Fig. 177, Item 6) does a call out for 4730-00-204-3491  but fails to specify its size.
After researching the NSN and manufacturer number of C32P, we identified this clamp as a 40-64mm or (1 9/16″ to 2 1/2″) stainless gear clamp. This clamp is an SAE 32 hose clamp. We acquired a box of ten Breeze brand clamps for our application, although only one is required. In fact, it appeared during our research that Breeze or its parent company may have actually been suppliers of this clamp to the government as 4730-00-204-3491.
Accordingly, we had to source and locate replacement or substitute hose and tubing for installation. All of the hoses and tubing are indicated in the parts manual as either P/N CPR104420-1 or P/N RB1450-1-4IDX1-20D.
Upon visual inspection, CPR104420-1 was identifiable as air brake tubing used on semi-trucks. One of the brand names for this is an Eaton product called Synflex®.
Upon further research, it was determined that CPR104420-1 is 1/4″ diameter tubing. (note this tubing is measured by O.D., not I.D.) Whereas CPR104420-2 is 3/8″ diameter. (CPR104420-2 is used as the main tube running parallel to the frame to vent the fuel tank).
We were able to identify RB1450-1-4IDX1-20D as being manufactured by Armstrong, and carries an NSN for bulk lengths as 4720-00-684-4033 . This essentially is a durable 1/4″ I.D. hose, which has the appearance of 1/4″ fuel hose or similar.
There is a number of vendors that make a suitable replacement, although we noted the caveat of not using fuel line because it may not remain flexible enough over time for use on the front hubs. (they will constantly be flexing as the vehicle is steered).
It was suggested to us to consider use of silicone vacuum or vent hose. Silicone hose was simply not readily available at the time of manufacture and design of the HMMWV. Vendors cautioned against using silicone hose for oil or fuel carrying. The primary reason for not using silicone for fuel is that it simply isn’t rated for pressurized fuel. We determined that 1/4″ silicone hose would be appropriate for venting purposes, and noting its widespread use in commercial and agricultural applications gave us a level of comfort of its reliability.
Always have extra seals when re-sealing hubs. Even though we had five (5) seals on hand, we ended up destroying two of them, and had to get additional seals.
In these pictures, the LH rear hub has been cleaned and ready for final reassembly. Of note, all four corners had the very original 4-slot spindle nuts, and we replaced the locking rings and used 8-slot spindle nuts on reassembly.
The engine oil pan was crushed during shipment, necessitating replacement. Whether that was the fault of the shipper or the seller, we don’t know. After finally locating a new replacement pan, the old one was removed. This engine does not look like it could have over 100 hours. Most likely, it appears that whatever HMMWV this powertrain came out of, it was likely a 6.2 that was upgraded to the 6.5NA and then sent for scrapping.
Update (Dec. 15, 2018): As we had to remove the timing cover to replace the water pump, we were afforded another view into the internals of the engine:
As visible, this is clearly a fresh engine. Not even the paint marks have discolored from oil and heat, and the Loctite 518 (or similar) had not been washed away. There is a slight amount of rust visible at the top of the upper timing gear caused by ambient air entering through the oil fill, but this should be considered normal, especially on an engine obtained from a de-mil.
Having acquired an early model Marine M1038 (circa 1985) quite some time ago, we finally got around to installing an updated powertrain. We chose to upgrade the engine to a 6.5NA. (realizing it is detuned, but also has less parts to fail). This retains the 3L80 (TH400) originally supplied. Additionally, this updated the Transfer Case to the AMG 242 model.
After the body was removed and set outside on stands, the chassis was negotiated onto the lift with a forklift. Once on the lift, everything that needed to be gone through was removed. Unfortunately, not only was the vent line missing from the front differential, so too was the fitting itself. This essentially made a funnel for water to infiltrate the front differential.
Both differentials were removed. The rear differential was re-sealed and re-mounted. The front differential was left off for a later rebuild.
Somewhere out of the “bone pile” or off one of our other ranches, brother Tim towed in a relatively stripped HMMWV for us to work on as a project.
The powertrain was missing, as was the windshield, headlights, reflectors, seats, and lots of other stuff. It was unloaded and taken out to the vehicle parking area. Our main website picture shows it being towed by the M998 on its way to the front shop with the four-poster lift.